Saturday, January 15, 2011

Kutztown Invitational: January 14, 2011

There are two things I would like to adress in this blog- 1. the point of it, 2. how the meet went last night at Kutztown.

Number 1, the point of this blog is to keep you up to date on my running career- the trainings, team bonding, ups and down and everything in between. I love running, and decided to keep a blog about it, after reading a few other ones.

I have a few running goals I would like to achieve in my lifetime:
1. Run the Broad Street Run sub 90 minutes.
2. Run a half-marathon.
3. Run a full marathon.
4. Run a triathalon and qualify for Ironman.
5. Compete in the Ironman Competition in Hawaii.

Number 2, Immaculata had our first ever track meet at Kutztown last night. This is the first year for a track team at Immaculata- we are making history, baby! I was so nervous, but knew I had to be confident and motivational for my team. Having to be confident actually helped my performance because I didn't let myself be nervous, at least until I stepped up to the starting line when it hit me that I was on a track (at a college level) for the first time since high school. It was such a fantastic feeling, I forgot how great it felt.

I love the wildness of Cross Country, but I love the intensity of track. It's so intense, each lap more competitive than the last. The strangest thing happened last night during my 800 and 400 (I was the first leg of our 4x4 relay team). When I stepped to the starting line my hands were sweaty, I was shaking and I couldn't seem to focus. As soon as I heard the words "On you mark..." and we all stepped to the line I began to calm down. By the time I heard "Get set..." I was fully calm, and 100% focused on my race. As soon as the announcer said "Go!" and the gun went off, I took off running and it felt great. The adrenaline was pumping, and I knew I only had 4 laps (in my 800, and 2 laps in my 400) to make the race count. Something about the pressure makes me run harder.

In Cross Country, my mindset is 25 minutes to compete, I can always come back. In track it's a full blown sprint, I only had 4 laps (or 2 laps) to do well. I didn't get any time to make it up, there was no "I will catch her later." The mindset is, "It's now or never and I better damn well do it now."

No, I didn't break any world records, but I did get an idea of where I stand and what I need to do for the remainder of the season.

800- 2:56
400- 73 seconds (1:13)

Goal:
800- sub 2:30
400- sub 65

Bring it on snow, sleet, rain, heat- I can handle you... nothing will deter me from achieving this goal.

          Success comes from the singless of purpose

No comments:

Post a Comment