Monday, January 17, 2011

Not even the cold keeps IU off the track

I felt the cold down to my bones today. For some reason I was chilly all day today, and practicing outside at 4:00 p.m. didn't exactly help the matter. Regardless, the distance team ran outside today, and surprisingly, it felt great. No, I didn't warm up and yes, my legs, fingers, face and toes were nearly numb by the time we were finished. I layered today: underarmour cold gear, a lined pullover, my xc jacket, breathable (but warm) running tights, calf socks, a hat, gloves and a scarf. I probably looked ridiculous because I didn't match at all, but I was semi-warm from sweating so much so that's okay.

We did a workout today. 20 minute warm up, 1 mile tempo, 5 hills and a 10 minute cool down. It's odd how I can feel drained but so good at the same time. Has anyone else ever experienced that? It's that feeling of being so worn out, but it felt so fantastic to get out and work hard.

The mile felt good, although my legs were exhausted today. I wanted to just keel over during the hills, but kept pushing myself to power through them and maintain good form. As much as I hate running, I love it. I was discussing this with my coach earlier, about how I have a love/hate relationship with running. It's so painful and I feel so tormented during the run, but I feel so great and accomplished after. It's the weirdest combination of feelings, but I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

I think I need a good massage, or a good stretch in the shower- that's free!

Here is a quote I found while reading online blogs on training in the cold:

"One important thing is to NEVER let yourself make excuses to skip a run just because it's cold out."

No comments:

Post a Comment